Read the sentences and try to guess the meaning of the idioms.
Click the answer button to see the correct answer.
- Wow! It's raining cats and dogs today! I wish I'd brought my umbrella to school!
a. I forgot my umbrella today.
b. It's raining heavily.
c. Cats and dogs are falling from the sky.
- When I told my mom I would be home around 2 am, she had a cow!
a. My mom bought a baby cow.
b. My mom is really strange.
c. My mom was really upset.
- Jean: How did you know it was my birthday today?
Susan: Oh, a little birdie told me!
a. Jean told Susan it was her birthday.
b. An unnamed person told Susan about Jean's birthday.
c. Susan told Jean it was her birthday.
- Frank: Why didn't your brother ride the roller coaster with us?
Sam: Oh, he's such a scaredy cat! He won't get on any fast ride.
a. Sam's brother is afraid to ride the roller coaster.
b. Sam's brother is a cat.
c. Sam's brother didn't go to the roller coaster.
- When the telephone salesman told me I could buy some concert tickets for only $10.00 if I gave him my credit card number, it seemed a little fishy to me, so I hung up the phone.
a. I thought the telephone salesman smelled like a fish and I didn't like that.
b. I thought the phone salesman was a dangerous fish and he scared me.
c. I thought the phone salesman was dishonest and I felt suspicious of him.
- I never learned how to use a computer, so I lost my job to a new employee. It's a dog-eat-dog world.
a. Only the strong or the best survive.
b. Dogs are eating dogs at the office.
c. Dogs like to eat dogs for lunch.